Admissions Master and PhD Track
Bachelor in economics, mathematics or social sciences (or the equivalent). A GRE certificate is strongly recommended. This allows students to demonstrate the strength of their quantitative skills.
In exceptional circumstances, students who have already completed the first year of an equivalent program with very good grades, may be directly admitted to the second year. In case of doubt, do not hesitate to apply for admission at both M1 and M2 level and/or to contact the program directors before applying.
A certificate of competence in English (TOEFL, IELTS, TOEIC, Cambridge ESOL) Level B2. (Students who studied in English speaking Colleges are exempted).
List of documents
- A CV.
- A photocopy of your ID.
- A photocopy of your transcripts (Translated into English or into French for foreign candidates).
- A GRE certificate is strongly recommended. This allows students to demonstrate the strength of their quantitative skills.
- A certificate of competence in English (TOEFL, IELTS, TOEIC, Cambridge ESOL) Level B2. (Students who studied in English speaking Colleges are exempted).
- A cover letter.
- Two reference letters.
Our three-year PhD program is open to any potential candidate who holds a two-year Master degree in Economics (French university M1/M2 degree or international equivalent).
Most of our PhD candidates come from the IP Paris Master and PhD-Track in Economics, but we encourage students from other institutions to apply to our PhD program.
Applicants will be expected to have attended a Master program which curriculum is similar to that of the Master/PhD track in Economics. In particular, we expect successful applicants to have a strong background in Microeconomics, Macroeconomics and Econometrics (comparable to a standard PhD programme). Successful applicants who have not attended the two years of the IP Paris Master/Phd track in Economics may be requested to (successfully) attend some courses (essentially core courses) of our Master program during the first year of the PhD program.
Admission process for 2022/2023
Admission to the PhD program (starting in September 2022) will be done in two steps:
- Academic admission: the admissions committee will review all applications and pre-select candidates on the basis of the strength of their application pack (grades achieved at Master level, academic background and quality of the research proposal).
- Grant application: the PhD directors will then provide guidance to pre-selected candidates in their application for funding. Different sources of funding are available with different procedures and deadlines (see "Funding").
Candidates will be admitted to the PhD program (for the academic year 2022/2023) if they have been pre-selected by the admissions committee and if they secure funding for three years. Admission to the program is competitive and requires strong academic achievement at the master level. Depending on funding available, we definitively admit around ten new PhD students each year.
To apply to enter the program for the academic year 2022/2023, you need to send the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday, March 20, 2022:
- Curriculum Vitae.
- Past transcripts (including master level transcripts).
- Research proposal. Please, describe the topic you intend to work on, the literature you want to contribute to, the questions you would like to address, and the approach that you intend to undertake. Your proposal should be about 3 pages long (excluding references).
- Your first and second choice of potential supervisors among faculty members at CREST (see "Faculty"). You should have discussed your project with at least one potential supervisor. At this stage, this is only an indication as it might subsequently be possible to change supervisor or to be jointly supervised by two faculty members.
Because some doctoral grants may exceptionally be awarded very early, we advise candidates to apply earlier than the deadline.
Graduates from ENS Paris-Saclay, currently enrolled in the Master in Economics or who completed the Master in Economics in the past two years, who intend to apply for a Contrat Doctoral Spécifique Normalien should apply earlier. You will need to submit your application to ENS Paris-Saclay before the mid-March 2022, having already been pre-selected by CREST. We thus asked you to send your full application to email@example.com by February 10, 2022.
Graduates from Ecole Polytechnique who intend to apply for an AMX (Allocation Moniteur-Polytechnicien) should also make themselves known as early as possible by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.